So we bought our house about six months ago, when we moved in they had done a lot of upgrades but left it a white box. Many people love white walls, something about it looking clean, but me…I HATE white walls. It makes me absolutely crazy! So we’ve made an effort slowly but surely to change that and ditch the sterile feeling about our new home. In the process of that we’ve painted ALMOST every room (we still have the babies room, guest room, back hallway and a small alcove off the kitchen for me to torture my hubs with) but the other rooms are DONE! It feels great!
Once we got the dining room painted it looked somewhat unfinished…it needed some texture, something. So we decided to give making valances a shot. My kitchen was in the same color scheme and had a bench seat that was in dire need of recovering from the faded blue of owners past, so I’d been on the hunt for that fabric as well. While wandering in Target I somehow ended up on the curtain aisle (not sure why because I don’t need curtains) and found these amazing panels of curtains that would work PERFECTLY for the valances and I grabbed a second panel to recover the bench in. We loved working with the panels for the valances bc several of the seams were already done. We were able to get 4 valances out of one 54″ x 84″ panel! And because A- who touches valances to pull at the seams and B- its fast…we heat bonded the seams with a stitch witch product.
We got these three windows done the first night we worked. We were hot and tired and had to quit. Plus the toddler was up much too late watching us work. I was amazed at the transformation they made to the space, even more amazed that as you walked through the dining room to the kitchen that your eye followed the valances and drew the rooms together. I was thrilled!!! And anxiously awaiting finishing the big kitchen window and seat.
This last window was wider than 54″ so we had to cut two exact pieces and seam them together in the middle. I thought you’d be able to see the seam but its barely noticeable…it just looks like a huge valance. For the window seat we measured all the sides and added an inch for seam allowances. Our trickiest spots were in the final two ends, but we did a great job and it turned out even better than I imagined!
And because I promised last time that I’d post the buffet wall here are a few of it completed 🙂
Aaaaah the sweet relief of another project finished. I’m on cloud nine this time because not all my projects turn out as perfect as I’d like. I’m much too picky and its hard to meet my own expectations…but we did it this time! I’m so thrilled with how it all turned out! I may have to share some of our other makeovers sometime!
Oh and if you’ve been keeping up….Mommy radar was spot on and we’re off to the Dr. this morning with a possible UTI…she’s been crying when she urinates 😦