Oh our master bedroom. It wasn’t too long ago we were in desperate need of a more “grown up” bedroom. Our furniture was all throw away stuff and nothing really made it feel luxurious. While we still have a way to go I’m happy with our progress. The first step in making our room feel more “grown-up” was getting a new mattress and with a little one sleeping between us sometimes, we decided it was time to upgrade to a king. I don’t think we could ever go back to a queen. But we didn’t have a headboard and our new big bed was begging for one. I looked online but I either couldn’t find quite what I was dreaming of or they were not within our budget.
So we decided to make one instead 🙂 I enlisted the help of my Dad because he was good with large tools and while I know how to use most of them, I’m less than comfortable. He’s also pretty good at this kind of stuff so it was good to work together towards something. We purchase some 1″ x 6″ boards and mitered the ends to match as well as a large piece of plywood. We made the entire headboard 7′-4″L x 4′-0″W which was perfect for my king. The inside plywood panel was 6′-4″L x 3′-0″W. We marked the panel where we would want the tufting to go through and pre-drilled those holes. Then covered the panel with foam. Here’s where we got budget crazy…foam is EXPENSIVE…and I’m cheap. So instead of paying the cost of foam sheeting I purchased a 2″ eggcrate from Walmart online. We cut it to fit and spray glued it finger side down to the panel. Then we covered the foam with batting and my fabric and pulled it around the back and stapled in place. Then we tufted it for added character. My Dad stained the 1″ x 6″ boards and we made the frame and then attached it the panel using mending plates. We also built cleats to hang it by for the best support (which turned out to be an awesome advantage when we moved…more on that later in the post!). Here is our finished product in our old house.
It was exactly what I wanted!! It fit perfectly between our windows and framed the bed well. It added such a nice touch with the addition of our new armoire (got around the same time).
Then we moved…
Our new house is about 10 years older and when they were built king size beds weren’t exactly the norm. So the windows weren’t as far apart on the main wall and when installed our headboard overlapped the windows by about a 10″ on each side….
I was devastated…but like any good designer (I have mentioned that right? My degree is in Interior Design. Now don’t let that confuse you, I’m NOT a decorator…finishes, colors, decor…not the easy stuff for me. Dimensions, space planning, ect…right up my alley!) I went to work on a solution. I remember sitting with my aunt watching Say Yes to the Dress and we had an epiphany! What if we took curtain panels and ran them all the way across that wall and then cut them behind the headboard…the look would continue but it would hide the overlap. Luckily we had the cleat attachment on the headboard so it stuck out just a bit from the wall. We were able to use four curtain panels and run them the entire length of the wall and lopped the two center panels off behind the headboard.
And guess what…
P.S.– This was a super inexpensive trick!! We used curtain panels from Ikea (which are always really reasonably priced) and the long rod is also from Ikea.
We also had a boring wall over our dresser so we gave it a little love as well. I love how just a few pictures of our girl, a nice canvas print, and a few candles on a floating shelf really dressed up the wall.
Please ignore antelope statue thingy in the middle of our dresser. My husband loves it and try as I might…its survived many a move…
So that’s our master makeover! We still need to upgrade our nightstands and dresser but they work for now. And they’re pretty low on the priority list, so they’ll probably be around a while.
…Unless of course…
We run across a steal that just speaks to me 😉